Slow Train to Luxor

On Saturday we took the train to Luxor, 400 plus kilometers (and ten-plus hours!) south of Cairo. Purchasing our tickets was an adventure in itself -challenging the language skills of both the woman at the ticket office and us. We came away knowing our time and date of departure, but a bit unsure of what train we’d end up with. We still don’t know what train we got! It was either first or second-class, but we’re hoping it was second and that we can book a 1st class train going back. The price was right though, at less than $8 per person.

We had amenities like seats that can recline a bit (and swivel when your neighbor puts his foot on the back of it) and windows with blinds and curtains that almost closed -and lots of vendors cruising the aisles with all manner of travel necessities like nail clippers, peanuts, and a plastic fish-on-a-string necklace. There was supposed to be AC, but that didn’t seem to pan out, so we were just thankful that it’s January and not July. They sell more tickets than seats, so it was a bit crowded. And I won’t do more than mention the bathroom - straight down to the tracks!

Thankfully we had a very sweet Egyptian family sitting behind us. They had four daughters and everyone was, once again, happy to give Emma all their attention. They saved the day on this epic ride. The mother must have played peek-a-boo from behind our seat for over an hour straight. The girls were all happy to listen and talk with Emma even though nobody understood the other. Emma took advantage of the opportunity to be a complete ham -all the way to Luxor. By the time we arrived, there were dozens of hugs and kisses to go around. Thank goodness for these sweet and friendly people. Sam and Sarah Jane still assert that they are glad Emma is in the family to deflect all the attention from them onto her. Most of the time, Emma likes it this way too.

Emma Makes New Friends


5 comments:

Gracie said...

That must be the greatest video I've ever seen! Emma's destined for the big screen!

Anonymous said...

Daniel says, "Hi, Emma. I will see you sometime when you get back. I hope if you get sick, I hope you feel better when you're at home. I saw you on the train. I'll see you when we have a playdate."
Karis says,"I like your singing Emma."

I think Daniel was jealous that the girl was playing with Emma AND that they were on a train!

Anonymous said...

Daniel says, "Hi, Emma. I will see you sometime when you get back. I hope if you get sick, I hope you feel better when you're at home. I saw you on the train. I'll see you when we have a playdate."
Karis says,"I like your singing Emma."

I think Daniel was jealous that the girl was playing with Emma AND that they were on a train!

Linnie said...

Now that's the Emma I know and miss! A big hug to you, Emma Gene!!

Modern Pharaoh said...

lol, How cute! Egyptian Kids are so funny!..and they adore foreign kids..